Friday, July 13, 2007

Stitching the Layers - the quilt stitch and the BSR from Bernina

The final part of the quiltmaking process is stitching the layers together, or quilting the quilt. Thanks to modern technology and innovative thought, Bernina has developed a sewing machine and a presser foot that ensures that each stitch taken is exactly the same size, even with free motion quilting. I have been practicing this technique on the Hawks Aloft Raffle Quilt in preparation for the special design I am working on for Bernina of America (you will have to wait to see that one).

This photo shows two of the three photo images on fabric, created by Soft Fabric Photos, Denver, CO. They print your images on Pima Cotton, and they are the best quality of any I've seen, and well worth the price of having them print it. They also sell kits and directions to do it yourself. Click the link in the upper right corner of my blog to visit their website at www.softfabricphotos.com The photos were taken by my good friend, David Powell, wildlife photographer.

But, back to the BSR foot! I found that the BSR1 setting works best for me. This is the one that is controlled with your foot pedal, and it can be used with needle down. I don't have to worry about accidentally moving the fabric and taking a few extra stitches.

I still have to stitch the detail on the birds, the eagle and the Sandhill Cranes, but I am quite pleased with the background stitching, and I gain confidence each time I use the foot. I hope to complete Bernina's special quilt by the end of this month. Stay tuned for that photo.

Here, Sarah Keller checks out the quilting on the photographs.

No comments: