Monday, February 21, 2011

Kerrville and Fredericksburg, February 2011

One of my favorite things about quilting is the sisterhood of like-minded women who make up this amazingly supportive community. Some of my best friends in the whole world are those that I met in quilt class. At the Kerrville Quilt Guild, Holly Nelson showed her quilt, Galactic Migration that she started in one of my classes in 2003. Beautiful! Thank, Holly, for sharing.
At the Verein's Country Quilt Guild in Fredericksburg, I was particularly touched by the story behind this quilt, made by Laura Killenwald. Laura was born in Mexico,but moved to Texas when she married. She became a citizen in 2000 and made this quilt to celebrate her new country.
The Verein's Country Quilters make a mean raffle quilt. They don't have tickets yet, but I left my $5 with the program chair, Kate Hunter, who promised to get them for me as soon as they are available. Simply a stunning quilt!
One of the wonderful things about Texas Quilt Guilds is that they welcome other guilds to their meetings to sell raffle tickets for their groups. I left some $$ with this group too.
And, the final stop in Kerrville was to the quilt shop, Creations, owned by Julie Milam and Kathy Thompson. Creations is located in an old Victorian building and each room has a different them. They have GREAT STUFF! Check them out next time you are in the area.

No comments: